C'mon, I could've done that translation (correctly) for $0.20

Competent translators really are not hard to come by, but apparently even huge corporations are not aware of this fact.

It is quite politically correct to bash multibillion-dollar multinational corporations (unless they fund your political campaigns, I guess). It also quite current political correctness to protest. Thus, I protest a company as big and rich as McDonalds having an inexcusable Spanish translation on their unsweetened tea canister (see the post from the 27th).

Any competent translator could have done the translations for the two canisters for McDonalds for $0.20, or 5 cents per English word. I would probably have charged much more, since McDonalds presumably has a few extra dollars to spare for a poor but competent translator. In fact, I could have done the job for only 10 cents, since it is only the "Unsweetened Tea" canister that has an offending translation (back translation of "te sin dulce": tea without candy).

But the translation is inexcusable, even if it is just one franchise that uses it (which I doubt). Even Google Translate could have done a better job for whoever was responsible for the translation. I often see products that obviously did not have a competent translator on the job. Why not? I'm here for you. Take the time and small expense to hire a competent translator.

Comments

Popular Posts